Planning for your Procedure:
- You are responsible for ensuring you have an adult to take you home after your procedure.
- Please arrange for someone to take care of you for 24 hours after surgery.
- Ask your surgeon about when to stop using blood thinners, Aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications and herbal and dietary supplements.
- Patients on insulin should speak to the provider who prescribed the insulin for dosing instructions prior to surgery.
- Colonoscopy/EGD patients:
- Follow the prep instructions given by your provider
- Consume only clear liquids the day before surgery. Please avoid red or purple colors as those dyes may look like blood.
- Surgical patients:
- Do not shave the surgical area for the 3 days prior to surgery.
- Shower the night before and the morning of surgery. Use clean towels each time and sleep in clean sheets. Use the antimicrobial soap if directed by your surgeon and the PAT nurse.
- IMPORTANT: We will call you for your arrival time the day before surgery, between 4:30 and 6:00 pm (You will get a call on Friday for Monday surgery). If you have not received a call after 6:00pm, please call 796-8423 for your arrival information.
- Refer to and follow any special directions given by your surgeon.
- Stop eating and drinking after midnight prior to your procedure.
The day of your procedure:
- Take any medications that were approved by the surgeon and/or PAT nurse.
- Bring an updated medication list with all prescription and non-prescription medications including vitamins and herbal supplements. Include the dosage and how often you take them.
- Patients with diabetes, follow directions given by your surgeon, primary healthcare provider and/or PAT nurse.
- Make sure to wear comfortable clothes that will be easy to put on and take off.
- Do not apply lotions, hair products or make-up prior to surgery.
- Bring any medical devices recommended by your surgeon such as:
- Make sure to bring your ID and insurance cards. You may want to bring your phone, tablet, or other device to use while waiting.
- Leave any other valuables at home such as jewelry, wallets, purses, or medications.
- You will come to the Main Entrance, and go through the COVID screening process.
- Then you will check-in with Patient Access Services (PAS) and receive wrist bands with your name and birthdate.
- Once you have been registered and received your wrist bands, you will be directed to Same Day Surgery.
- Your surgeon may want to speak to you before you go home.
- The person you designated to take you home will be called when you are ready to go home.
- You will be walked out to the vehicle to go home.
- Please make sure you have a responsible person to be with you for the next 24 hours.