Rehabilitation is an important part of recovering from an illness or injury. We have physical therapists (PT), occupational therapists (OT) and speech therapists (ST) here to help you get better. Rehabilitation helps optimize the abilities you have and aids you in maximizing your functional skills. We work with both inpatients and outpatients at the hospital. Some of our patients benefit from PT, OT and ST, and others only require one service.
The goal of our multidisciplinary physical rehabilitation team is to help speed recovery from trauma and illness and to restore the maximum level of wellness and function possible. Patients are carefully evaluated to determine specific needs. Goals and individualized treatment plans are developed in conjunction with each patient's wishes and overall healthcare plan. When appropriate, we involve the patient, his or her family members, and other caregivers in developing an overall care plan that achieves these goals. Our patient is the most important member of the team.
Communication with our patients is an extremely important aspect of giving the best care possible. We encourage you to ask questions and give us feedback as to how you see your care progressing. You will be working hard with us for your health and wellness. Your success is our goal.
Services we offer include:
- Customized treatment programs to improve independence in daily activities.
- Wound care.
- Home and job-site (ergonomic) evaluations with adaptations and recommendations.
- Lymphedema treatments and compressive garment measuring and fitting.
- Caregiver and family member training and guidance.
- Strength, flexibility and conditioning programs.
- Rehab and orthopedic exercise progression.
- Osteoporosis education program.
- Hand/arm therapy, including splinting.
- Speech and swallow evaluations and treatment.
- Craniosacral therapy.
- Programs for decreasing pain.
- Strengthening exercise programs.
- Balance, mobility training and fall prevention.
- Yoga therapy.
- Pediatric PT and OT.
- Postsurgical strengthening.
- Recovery from sprains and strains.
- Driving advisement assessments.
- Evaluations for wheelchairs, scooters, transfer devices and home safety equipment.
- Low vision program.
- Treatments such as ice, heat, TENS, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, whirlpools, microcurrent, ultrasound, traction.
- Teaching the use of assistive devices such as walkers, crutches, canes.
- Exercises to improve strength and coordination needed for purposeful activities.
- Manual therapy, joint and soft tissue mobilizations.
- Neuromuscular and movement re-education.
Our multidisciplinary physical rehabilitation team helps speed recovery from trauma and illness and works to restore the maximum level of wellness and function as possible. Patients receive evaluations and individualized goals and treatment plans.
We also have a monthly specialty clinic where a prosthetist/orthotist designs, builds and fits patients with prosthetic limbs, orthotics, braces, and custom or diabetic footwear.
Our rehabilitation staff is composed of 4 physical therapists; 2 occupational therapists; 2 contract speech therapists; 2 physical rehabilitation aides; and a department manager, who is also a physical therapist. The department hosts a prosthetist and orthotist from Ketchikan for a 3-day clinic each month.
Occupational therapy is a skilled treatment that uses activity to improve function. It gives people the skills for the job of living. This may include relearning how to eat, bathe or write using specialized equipment or strategies developed specifically to compensate for a patient's limitations. Occupational therapists also specialize in hand/arm treatment and splinting and ergonomics.
Physical therapy works to prevent, correct and alleviate symptoms; restore functional movement; increase strength and educate to promote health. Our therapists evaluate and treat problems associated with movement, balance, strength, coordination, wounds and pain. Physical therapists use a variety of treatments, exercise and education to coach patients in their return to full function.
Prosthetists and Orthotists
Prosthetists and orthotists design, build and fit prosthetic devices (artificial limbs), orthotics, braces, and custom or diabetic footwear. They also educate patients to use these items safely and correctly. This specialist sees patients during monthly clinics in our department.
Speech therapy assists with swallowing management and speech and language skills. This may include teaching alternative methods of communicating. Speech therapists also work with people who have difficulty with memory, concentration and problem solving.
Work Injury Rehab and Prevention Program
Bartlett Regional Hospital's Work Injury Rehab and Prevention Program includes prevention and rehabilitation services. The primary goals are to keep healthy workers injury-free on the job and return injured workers to employment as soon as they are healed and fully ready to resume the physical requirements of their jobs and not at risk of reinjury.
Bartlett Regional Hospital's Rehabilitation Services staff work with the patient, referring physician, therapy team, employer and workers compensation insurance carrier.
Work Injury Rehabilitation
This program prepares an injured worker to resume his or her normal work activities and assists workers to reach his or her maximum potential. The injured worker receives skilled physical and/or occupational therapy evaluations and treatment to allow a safe and speedy return to work.
Work injury rehab services may include:
- Physical capacity evaluations.
- Work conditioning rehab for strength and endurance of the job's physical demands.
- Job-site analysis.
- Ergonomic assessments.
- Injury-prevention training.
- Specialized services for hand, arm, neck and back injuries.
Work Injury Prevention Program
This program provides group and individual consultation and training on the job site to reduce the risk of work-related injury.
Work injury prevention services may include:
- Ergonomics assessments.
- Back injury prevention classes.
- Repetitive motion injury prevention classes for office workers.
- Customized educational programs unique to the employer’s needs.
Benefits of this program to patients and employers include reduced time lost due to injuries. This program provides coordinated services that help keep healthy workers on the job and get injured workers quickly and safely back to work.
Referrals to the program can be made directly by your primary physician. Employers are welcome to call us to see how we can help keep your employees healthy and working productively.
Please contact Bartlett Regional Hospital's Rehabilitation Services at 907.796.8431 for more information.