Congratulations, Edelman Scholars!
I hope everyone enjoyed the summer! The Foundation staff and board has been working on "reimagining" our summer and fall fundraising events where, in addition to a great meal and fun, we'll thank our donors and sponsors for their generosity in supporting Bartlett Regional Hospital. Stay tuned for more news!
Despite the ups and downs of this summer, I'm hopeful life in our community will continue to return to normal, or whatever our "new normal" is. One of the normals the Foundation never lost sight of was the need to promote, review and award our annual Edelman scholarships—and this year's class of recipients continues to raise the bar!
Due to the generosity of the late Phil and Grace Edelman, their scholarship endowment has enabled the Bartlett Regional Hospital Foundation to award more than $130,000 in financial assistance to students in health sciences. Not only are our candidates seeking associate, bachelor, graduate and advanced degrees, but they've maintained a minimum 3.0 GPA, are full-time students and, most important, they've demonstrated intent to return to Southeast Alaska upon completion of their education. It was the Edelmans' wish to increase access to health care in southeast Alaska by increasing the number of health care practitioners in our region.
Please join us in congratulating them!
Our three new Edelman Scholars
- Linnea Lentfer, of Gustavus, will attend Carleton College to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Biology.
- Madeline Kauffman, of Juneau, will attend Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences to obtain a Master of Physician Assistant Studies.
- Michael Cesar, of Juneau, a senior at Columbia University, will be graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Health Studies/Premed.
Our returning scholars
- Hanah Elizarde, a senior at Gonzaga University, and Abby McDermott, a senior at Carroll College, are both from Juneau, and each will be graduating this year with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Sammy McKnight, of Juneau, a senior at UAA, will be graduating with a Bachelor in Health Sciences with the intent to continue studies, seeking a Doctor of Pharmacy.
I want to thank the members of our scholarship committee who reviewed all of the applications and made the tough decisions as to who this year's recipients would be. I also want to thank our entire board. Our board consists not only of health science professionals, but also professionals representing a cross section of our community who all share a commitment to financially supporting our regional hospital—something they continued to do throughout the pandemic. Meet our board at brhfoundation.org/board-of-directors.
By the time you read this, the days will be shorter and darker, but our futures are bright, due in part to the generosity of the Edelmans and our donors, volunteers and supporters. Thank you!
Bartlett Regional Hospital Foundation
Categories: Edelman scholars
Meet our scholars!
See all the current and past scholars at brhfoundation.org/edelman-scholars.